Susanna Garza, the Coordinator for Instructional Technology and Media for ESC 20, released information regarding the K-12 Databases on August 2. The K-12 Databases are online resources that have been provided for Texas school schools at no cost to the local district. Due to state budget cuts, these resources will no longer be free to districts. However, the state has been able to secure the K-12 Databases at a reasonable cost for districts. Below is the contents of her email.
The K-12 Databases program continues to exist even though state funding was eliminated.
- State-negotiated pricing for the online research resources from EBSCO and Britannica is available to all Texas K-12 public and public charter school communities on an opt-in basis.
- The Texas State Library and Archives Commission negotiated a very low per student fee with the resulting price rolled back to the 2007 district cost for the same resources.
- An order form is available at http://web.esc20.net/access
The EBSCO and Britannica packages offered under the opt-in plan are identical to what is currently offered under the state-funded program. Subscription to both resources is available only through ESC-20. A district or campus will have the option to select either or both of the resources noted below:
EBSCO K-12 Reference Package
- Access: September 1, 2011 – August 31, 2012
- Package includes: 34 databases with age-appropriate interfaces: Student Resource Center, Searchasaurus, Kids Search, EBSCO Host , Consumer Health Complete
- Cost: $0.49 per student
- Minimum: $200.00 Elementary, $260.00 Middle School, $330.00 High School
Britannica Online School Edition
- Access: December 1, 2011 – August 31, 2012
- Package includes: 10 databases with age-appropriate interfaces: Learning Zone, Britannica Elementary, Britannica Middle School, Britannica High School, Britannica Spanish Reference Center, Britannica Global Reference Center
- Cost: $ 0.37 per student
- Minimum: $335.00 per campus
Please make note of the following important points:
- Access to EBSCO will be cease on Sept. 15, 2011 unless a contingency form is received at ESC-20 prior to that date.
- Per campus minimum fees can be waived if packages are ordered at the district level; a district minimum may still apply.
- Access to EBSCO under the opt-in program is for 12 months;
- Access to Britannica Digital Learning under the opt-in program is for 9 months.
- Invoicing will begin in September unless otherwise requested.
- Logins will continue to be the same as last year unless otherwise requested.
- K-12 Databases subscribing schools will receive access to new training, outreach and integration materials.
- These materials will be available for preview in late August.
To order the state negotiated K-12 Databases, please download the order form at: http://web.esc20.net/access.
Contact information for the K-12 Databases Help Desk:
- Phone: 210-370-5623
- Fax: 210-370-5755
- Email: email@example.com
- K-12 Web Address: http://web.esc20.net/k12databases